Looking for a showstopper to use up all that panic bought flour? Chef Edo has just the recipe for you! These mezzelune (meaning half moon) raviolis are delicious, naughty, not-another-banana-bread and will be sure to wow your bubble….
Mezzelune of artichoke and ricotta
30 pieces (serves 6)
For the dough:
250g 00 flour
Eggs; 2 whole 1 yolk
For the filling:
6 fresh cleaned artichokes (preserved artichokes are not suitable for this recipe, but can be replaced with spinach, asparagus, zucchini, radicchio…)
Fresh oregano 3 springs
Extra virgin olive oil to saute the artichoke as required
Salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce:
Brown Butter as required
Sage as required
- Combine the eggs, yolk and flour by hand or with a dough mixer until a smooth dough forms.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and allow to rest in the fridge for 20 minutes. If the dough is a bit sticky add extra flour and work it on a bench until the right consistency is reached.
While the dough is resting:
- Thoroughly clean and finely slice the artichoke.
- Sauté the artichoke with olive oil, salt and pepper until soft and golden.
- Place on a tray and place in the fridge until cool.
- Gradually add all of the filling ingredients into a high speed blender, adding olive oil to help emulsify until smooth.
- Place the filling into a clean bowl, add salt and pepper to taste if necessary and place in the fridge until cool.
- Once the filling has cooled down transfer it into a piping bag.
Back to the pasta:
- Roll the pasta dough into a long strip around 1mm thick, all the while dusting with semolina
- Cut into circular sheets using a medium ring mold
- Pipe the filling slightly off centre on the pasta sheets
- Using a little bit of water, fold the sheets into semi-circular shapes –this is where the mezzelune names comes from, meaning half moon
- Blanch the raviolis in boiling, salted water for about 3 minutes until they start floating on the surface
Now for the sauce:
- Place the butter in a saucepan and let brown at a medium heat
- Pour brown butter on a separate serving bowl, add and toss the ravioli with some fresh sage leaves
- Grate fresh Parmesan over the top and serve! Enjoy.